Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Changing Face of Journalism

I had the opportunity to guest lecture at a journalism class today.  It was an interesting experience and one that I will not soon forget.  I asked the class of twenty or so students how many had read the morning paper.  Guess how many?  One.  I then asked how many had watched the evening news last night.  Guess how many?  Again, one.

This is the new face of journalism.  Social Media, Twitter, Four Square and You Tube are replacing the traditional ways that we get information.  Does this shock you?  Will this lead to a generation gap between the 'new' media and the 'old' media?  And what about the people stuck in the middle.

I don't know where this is heading and I am not sure that anyone else does either.  So in the meantime, I'm blogging, reading the morning paper, spending too much time on FaceBook and generally feeling like I'm more disconnected than ever.

No comments: